My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Monday, July 28, 2008

The Remodel Is Starting!

The contractor will be over this afternoon to start the remodel. We had him give us the estimate several weeks ago and since then he has taken a job with the state because of insurance so this is going to be a part time project for him. It's not a big project but we've given him our time frame (Hah, as if that makes any difference to contractors! In Calif. we had a second story put on our home there and it was supposed to be a 3 month project. It took 5 months!!!! Hubs was sitting on the toilet one day and the men started coming up from the crawl space while he was .........well, you know. A traumatic experience to say the least!) Anyway, he has to be done before Hubs has to go to Orlando middle of august. Nuuuuuuuu, I ain't goin', chicks, I don't DO airplanes, remember?!?!?! I know, I know, I'm missing this great opportunity to go see Disney World, but I've seen Disneyland! So why would I want to go to a humid place in the middle of summer to see little mice running around mischievously?? Nuuuuuuu, ain't happenin', chicks!

Anyway, I'm seriously digressing here. First off, these are 2 little shelves I got for 99¢, yessssssss, ya heard that correctly, 99¢!! Squeeeeeeallll!!! One was already white but had some black felt pen marks on it so I repainted it and painted the other bigger one and voilĂ  here they are - good as new! I'm so thrilled!! Can'tcha tell, my little doves?!?!?! I'm feelin' like the Spritzing Queen with my little spray can of paint! This is sooooooo easy to do - take cap off of paint can, point to object to be painted and press top tab! I'm loving it! No clean up except maybe for the index finger.


Here is the wall getting the remodel. (Read carefully; you will be given a pop quiz at some point!) I hate pass throughs from living room to kitchen and do NOT like people seeing in my kitchen from a living room. (Yes, we might have been able to get it done when being built but it was beyond that "easy/quick" point, would have taken much more time and we HAD to be out of other house very, very quickly. Thus we knew that someday we'd redo it.) On the photos you see where it says 12" out from existing wall. Well, we've decided it is to go out 30" on each side leaving an archway of about 5 ft. We will then have a little more "defined" living room, no view of my dirty dishes and squeeeeeealing with deeeeeeelight........more WALL space!! I'm so happy I could walk barefoot over pink nails!! THIS means I can move our lovely grandfather clock to that wall along with "other" things getting it out of my family room and put a new fireplace........squeeeeeeeeeeeal again...........in there!!! Get my drift here? More fabulous shabby, chic, frou frou looking stuff in family room!!!

But the downside is we're living like pack rats for a couple of weeks. Unorganized is not one of my favorite states to be in! But I promise "progress" photos daily if you want to travel along this "remodel" with me, my little blogging buddies.
:) So stay tuned!


This was taken last night as we started taking down stuff. It's a mess this morning! *Sighhhhhh*................

17 comments:

  1. How exciting that a new project is beginning. I'll be following along. I've added your link :0). Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How remodels are sooooo dusty! We madeover our attic several years back and I had drywall dust for a year =) Thank goodness yours is a short project. Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everything goes smoothly! Here's to sheetrock dust and paint splatters, and to future new wall space!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Your home is so pretty and it will look just wonderful when this remodel is done. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the finished walls...it will look lovely I'm sure!!!

    And I'm with ya on airplanes...I don't do them either...nope!

    Hugz,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, it's begun! Hang in there during this, it always takes longer than they say it seems! Finally got a post up on my blog, come visit sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Connie, I cant believe you are going to do that!! I LOVE completely open homes, it would drive me nuts to have a wall there! To each his own I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find and a great job on those pretty shelves! Your contractor SHOULD be able to complete your remodel in time. It will be messy and dusty, but just think how great it will be when it's done.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Connie,
    Looking forward to seeing the "NEW" room. Good luck with the project. Ours "always" takes MUCH longer than we think it will. I miss your visits. Warmly, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting for you! You can never have too much wall space to display all your treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Connie, I hope your remodel goes quicker than ours. My fridge has been in the dining room for almost a week. A two day new tile floor has turned into "where the heck is that guy?!". Dining room is my sewing room so I can't sew. I'm getting crankier by the minute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate living in the home while the place is going through a remodel. It's such a mess and loud. But oh the joy and beauty when it is finished and all put back together.

    Can't wait to see it finished.

    Those little 99 cent shelves are great! Good job!

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. oooh my sweet gal you are so much braver than me doin' at that remodelling! I think its gonna look awesome but. AND yay to more shelves to put pretty stuff on...hee hee you cant argue with that!
    Oh and umm dont worry, im totally gettin' ya on the whole plane thing too...I SOOOOOOO dont do planes. NO thanks Sir, not me.
    LOL. Planes planes go away....

    Oh and to answer your question on my blog...YOU BETCHA i ship overseas my lovely....whatcha got your eye on ??? *grin*


    Chat soon,

    Love Shann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, congrats! I bet it will look great and I hope he doesn't drag his feet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Connie, the shelves turn out beautiful. It's amazing what a can of paint will do for you and that index finger. I love all the pictures and assessories you have in that living room, and I can't wait to see the outcome of the whole project. I hope your contractor finishes on time and I hate you're going to miss that trip to Disney World although I know you'll enjoy just as much at home decorating and crafting. Thanks for stoppin in on me today. Have fun with your remodel. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Connie, how exciting!!! I know its hard work,but fun all at the same time.I love the two shelves.You lucked up with that find. 99 cents,what a deal.I'll be looking forward to seeing the end results.Hugs Marie Antionette

    ReplyDelete
  17. Morning Ms Connieness! Congratulations on your award - you deserve all the awards! You are just a hoot and I luv your blog! Can't wait to see the results of the remodeling! How wonderful.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.